Friday, December 9, 2011

One over (Cake Walk)

             Sorry for the delay in posts. I have some catching up to do. Just to let you know how this week ended, our laptop charger decided that it was going to melt through the casing and start to spark.....In other words we lost our laptops early on Thursday. Sure enough it was a holiday in Spain which meant NO WHERE WAS OPEN. We were stuck with two laptops and zero battery life.  We ordered a new charger from amazon before the computer died and we were planning on waiting it out until it arrived. We ended up needing to go to the grocery store and we stopped in an electronics store on the way and luckily they also had chargers. So now we purchased a laptop charger from Spain which we are able to return within eight days so we are using it until the one comes from amazon then we are returning the store bought charger. So in summary we are currently using borrowed laptop charger. 
            This  week was definitely an interesting week. We had two holidays one on Tuesday and one on Thursday. So naturally I only had work on Monday and Wednesday. Not saying I do all that much but a day off is a day off.  On Monday, I had private lessons with a 13 year old. She was learning about the united states and happened to mention that she was going to end up needing to memorize them. Naturally being an expert on the subject we pulled up on the laptop "fifty-nifty united states" song. We then proceeded to sing and talk about all the states and where they're located for the next forty-five minutes. Apparently she was more fond of the western states cause about every other one she would say " Oh I love Montana"  or " Oh I love (insert western state here)" When asked why she really liked those states she replied, "the eastern states are too small and confusing.....most of these are rectangles!" Fair enough, that's a good enough reason for me. 
            Now down to recaps of the runs this week. Starting with tuesday. Tuesdays run was a five miler. I ran this one again with Stevie and kept a moderately light pace. The run was going well until about mile three. At mile three i felt a familiar tickle on the outside of my ankle. This led to a two mile silent debate about whether or not to break stride and reach down to itch the tickle. On one hand, if I did try to appease the itch  there's no guarantee that it will be sufficient and need more attention. On the other hand, I didn't feel I wanted to break stride as we had a fairly consistent pace. (pacing is definately one area of running i am working on. My pace chart from my Garmin looks more like a roller coaster than a graph). In the end I decided to push through the agony of the little itch on the outside of my right ankle. Good thing there was only two miles left because it was driving me CRAZY.  The run was a successful run. I still felt the optimistic wave was carrying me as thoughts of Rocky with his hands raised high and the theme song filled my head. Five miles "Cake walk"
          Wednesday, I had a rest day. We had a full day of classes at school then a full evening of private lessons. I had the next two days off so I moved my rest day up one day. My next run was Thursday. Now I have two rest days scheduled but I had skipped the first on Monday as i feel it is important to work the legs out after the long runs on Sundays.(I'm still trying to figure out a good schedule for rest days that corresponds with my work schedule) Thursday we kept it light and easy with a one and a half mile jog with a slightly elevated pace. This run was uneventful as it was a very short very quick run.      
        This brings me to today! I caught up already on the blog but that is neither here no there. Today's run was the reciprocal of Tuesdays "Cake Walk". Now, it was just myself on this three miler. I stayed on the same path on the out of the way, outskirts farm road. Now this road today offered very little distraction from my bipolar run. The run started off really well I picked up the tempo just to test my legs before my pace run tomorrow. The first mile I hit  under the mark I wanted. I was aiming for a 9:00 minute mile and hit 8:42 for the first mile (told you i'm terrible at pacing). The first mile flew by and my spirits were high. Mile two was roughly the same but with a slightly different time of 8:49. This is were something hit the fan. I lost the focus on my breathing and my stride became labored, and for the first time I thought "what did I get myself into?" This is week one! None of my expectations of pessimism's time frame had it starting in week one... Week three or week four EARLIEST! So with half a mile left I regain some of my form and finish slightly stronger than the previous half mile. This was definitely a wake up call. Now that all I'm picturing is Rocky in the early rounds getting his head beaten to a pulp. This isn't how it's supposed to go! He's not getting beat he's merely blocking the punches with his face, but Rocky was beat, beat bad. 
              This view has cemented itself in my head and spills over into my preparation for my pace run on Saturday! A three miler threw a sucker punch and caught me off guard and I'm preparing for the five miler. I know to take every run as an individual event and to not assume one run will be the next days. I've experienced that enough in my limited running career. But it's hard not to when the next days is a five mile pace run  in week one of getting ready for a 26.2 run. The daunting, sinking, SOS feeling still clutches to my thoughts but tomorrow is a new day and will bring a new run. 

Later Days



No comments:

Post a Comment